Our motivating goal at Curran-Bauer Analytics is to offer rigorous yet accessible instructional workshops in applied data analysis and research methodology that are explicitly targeted to empirical researchers in the social, behavioral and health sciences. We place an equal balance on core aspects of the underlying statistical models and on the thoughtful application and interpretation of models fitted to real data using a variety of available software packages. Our current workshop offerings are listed in the menu on the right. We also provide private seminars for organizations with specific training needs. Please contact us for details.
The Online Experience
In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, we transitioned all of our training workshops to live stream, enabling registrants to participate from the comfort and safety of their homes. In making this transition, we found that we could maintain a high level of engagement, increase our global reach, and lower costs for participants (avoidance of travel costs and reduced tuition). We thus plan to continue providing our training online in the future. As described on each workshop page, we maintain interactivity with instructors during the live stream and provide temporary access to recordings, making it easier for people with busy lives or from different time zones to participate.
Let's face it, remote instruction can be dreadfully boring. That's why we we've worked hard to ensure that our classes continue to be highly engaging. Our participants agree. Here's a summary of what participants said in over 700 evaluations of our online workshops from Spring 2020:
- 99% said that our instructors lectured in a clear, knowledgeable and engaging way.
- 95% said that the live streaming platform was effective for remote learning.
- 96% said they would take another class with us.
- Over half of our participants were referred to us by a colleague.
- The majority expressed a preference for future workshops to be online.
- Online training is more affordable and accessible, allowing us to reach a broader audience.
- Participants can join the live stream from anywhere in the world, and view recordings to catch up on time zone differences or to accommodate busy schedules.
- We taught more participants in our Spring 2020 online workshops than we had taught in person in the prior 10 years combined.
What Makes our Training Unique
A number of different organizations offer statistical training through the provision of workshops on advanced quantitative modeling approaches. However, we respectfully believe that we offer a variety of significant and unique advantages over these other training opportunities. We describe our areas of strength below.
Depth of Experience
- Our instructors are leaders in the field, bringing exceptional expertise to each class.
- All instructors have demonstrated excellence in teaching.
- We balance understanding the statistical foundations of a technique with its practical application.
- Patrick and Dan are intimately involved in the development and teaching of all workshops, bringing award-winning teaching experience, extensive content knowledge, and an applied-research orientation to each course.
- Many of our workshops are co-taught, providing participants with dual-perspectives on the course material and alternative explanations of similar concepts.
High Quality Support Materials
- A key component of our instruction is the provision of high quality support materials including detailed course notes, multiple sample data sets, and comprehensive computer code written in a variety of commonly used software packages.
- Because we are not affiliated with any commercial entity, we make no attempt to encourage the use of any one software package over any other but rather focus on the match between the capabilities of the software and the needs of the researcher.
In sum, although there are many alternative training opportunities in quantitative methods, we believe that we offer a superior training experience that will provide you with the practical tools to conduct your own research at the highest levels possible.
Just-in-Time Self-Paced Courses
Recent Livestream Workshops
Our Spring Workshop Schedule for 2021 will be Announced Soon
See below for details on recently completed workshops
December 9-11, 2020
Online Webinar via Zoom
Instructors: Dan Bauer and Patrick Curran
Software Demonstrations: Mplus, R, and Stata